Sunday, June 15, 2014

John Hammond's Letter: A Fictionalized Letter to the City of Gloucester

To Whom it May Concern,

Though it pains me to write this letter I know it must be done. I have known for a while now that I am not in the best of health to take care of myself let alone my estate. And I do fear I may not be in this world much longer. But as I do make my way into the afterlife I want to make sure my estate is properly cared for. I built this castle when I was just a young man. It has not only been my laboratory these past years, it has been my home. Today it feels as though people are forgetting what the true meaning of a home is. This has been my home and my home only and that is how I wish it to stay. I do however want people to know the work that I have done and the work others have done. I didn't just make this castle in order to research I also used it to store the many artifacts I have collected over the years. Medieval and Renaissance treasures are around ever corner in my home and these things do not belong kept away in the dark. That is why I am writing this, I wish to open my home to the public as a museum after my time comes. I hope it is used to educate others in not only the work I have done but the work others have done before me. I leave my estate in the hands of my most beloved city. All I ask in return is to be buried on my estate next to my wife and beloved pets that have departed before me. I have hope that I can teach generations after me even from beyond the grave. Do not let my work go to waste.

Sincerely,

John Hays Hammond Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment